Barcelona International Guitar Contest Miquel Llobet |
5th edition 2024 | COMPOSITION
The Certamen Llobet, in its composition modality, reaches its fifth edition in 2024 consolidating itself as one of the most interesting and internationally recognized guitar composition competitions and as one of the better valued by the participants of all editions.
The spirit and goal of this competition is to disseminate new music for guitar and to give a voice and a space to new creators. So, the organizers have decided to celebrate its first five years with a special concert in which some of the works that were semifinalists in previous editions will be performed. In this way, the contest takes another step forward in its mission to revalue new creations.
The melting pot of styles that can be heard (from post-Romantic neotonalism to microtonalism or the most avant-garde noisecraft) will make this concert an experience suitable for all sensibilities, while showing the good creative health that the world of the guitar is experiencing, away from prejudices or fanatical militancy of style.
At the same time, this fifth edition will once again have a luxury jury, in line with previous editions. As always, the jury will be formed by a guitarist, a guitarist composer and a composer far from the guitar praxis. So, the member of the jury in this edition will be: Laura Young, concert performer with an extensive international career and professor at ESMUC and the Mozarteum of Salzburg; Elodi Bouny guitarist and composer with a broad and solid career in the Americas and Europe and director of the Novas Competition of composition for guitar based in Brazil, and Zulema de la Cruz, composer of great national and international prestige and professor of composition at the Royal Conservatory of Madrid, as well as in the degree in Music at the International University of La Rioja.
The organizers encourage you to participate in this fifth edition, which in addition to offering the same rigor and closeness as always, will become a true celebration of the guitar.
1) Iberamerik Concert Association, organizer of the Barcelona International Guitar Contest Miquel Llobet, announces the fifth edition in Composition for Classic Guitar.
2) The contest is open to any composer of any age and nationality, provided that they were not awarded the first prize in any previous edition of the contest, or with the second prize in one of the last two editions.
3) The composition needs to be original and unpublished and it shouldn’t have been awarded any prize in any previous contest. Also, the composition shouldn’t have been premiered, published on the web, played or broadcasted in the radio or recorded on any support.
4) The composition must be written for classic guitar (any electroacustic mean, or external devices are not allowed) and it must last between 3 and 6 minutes.
5) The Jury will be composed by three well renowned international members and it will be formed by a guitar player, a composer and a composer-guitar player. In this fourth edition the jury will be composed by: Elodie Bouny (guitarist-composer), Laura Young (concert performer) and Zulema de la Cruz (composer).
6) Entry in this Contest constitutes acceptance of these Contest rules. The decision of the jury will be final. The jury will give the exclusive interpretation of the rules.
7) The compositions must be sent between January 2 and June 2 of 2024. The Compositions sent before and after these dates will be excluded.
8) The compositions will be sent to this email address email@example.com together with the following documents:
a) File in a pdf format with the title and a nickname.
b) File in a pdf format with the title and a nickname an the identity of the composer (name and surnames).
c) File text or pdf format with a brief artistic biography, address, age and nationality of the composer.
d) File in a jpg format of a recent picture of the composer.
e) A sworn and signed declaration stating that the composition is unpublished, is an original, hasn’t been made public, nor discographically recorded.
f) A recording is not necessary, but a mp3 real audio, midi or Finale version of the composition will be positively valued.
9) A 25€ inscription fee will have to be sent via bank transfer to (CAIXABANK IBAN ES71 2100 5516 8121 0016 5290 SWIFT: CAIXESBB) or Paypal (firstname.lastname@example.org). Name/nickname and title of the composition are required.
10) The following prizes will be issued:
a) First Prize: 1,000 euros and Honorary Certificate. Video-Recording of the composition and it’s premiere in the Art Llobet Festival or at Les Garrigues Guitar Festival. The composition will be included as a compulsory piece in the Semifinal of the following edition of the Llobet Contest in Interpretation.
b) Second Prize: 500 euros and Honorary Certificate.
11) Taxes will be applied on the prizes according to the law.
12) The Jury might award a Special Mention, which will be issued with a Honorary Certificate.
13) The Jury might not issue the prize if they don’t think that the quality of the compositions is not good enough or if they fail to fulfill any of the previously mentioned requirements.
14) The decision of the Jury will take place on Monday, July 1 of 2024.
15) The winner of the First Prize will commit not to make use of any kind of copyrights about his awarded work until the following Llobet Contest is finished, so that the composition can be included freely in the Interpretation contest withouth any prejudice or charges on the contestants.
16) The winners are not required the assistance to the premiere or to the contest of interpretation. If they decide to attend the organization will not pay for the travel costs, however it will ease accommodation for at least one night.
* In case of doubt, the interpretation of these rules will take into account the original text in Spanish.
ELODIE BOUNY (VENEZUELA)
Elodie Bouny graduated from the Conservatoires de Boulogne (2000) and Strasbourg (2005), in France. She holds a Master’s degree in Music Education from the School of Music of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (2012) and a PhD in Creative Processes from the same institution (2019). She plays as a soloist and in ensembles worldwide, and as a composer she regularly receives commissions for guitar pieces, chamber music, opera, symphony orchestra (commissions by Guitar Foundation of America, Theatro Municipal de São Paulo, Cultura Artistica, Instituto Inhotim, Duo Siqueira-Lima, among others).
ZULEMA DE LA CRUZ (SPAIN)
Zulema de la Cruz holds a degree in Piano and Composition from the Real Conservatorio Superior de Música de Madrid, Master of Arts in Composition and Computer Music from Stanford University (California, U. S. A.) among many other distinctions. She has also been awarded in numerous composition competitions, advisor and jury of multiple institutions. Her works, created both in the acoustic and electronic fields and commissioned by various entities, are regularly performed in Europe, USA, Canada, South America, Japan, China and Australia.
LAURA YOUNG (CANADA)
Laura Young is an outstanding classical guitar virtuoso who has received numerous international awards throughout her career. She has received rave reviews over the years for her extensive discography. Laura’s unique style and distinctive playing philosophy have led composers from around the world to create bold new compositions for her. She teaches at the ESMUC in Barcelona and at the Mozarteum in Salzburg.
ZULEMA DE LA CRUZ