- Certamen Llobet 2021
- Interpretation Rules
- Composers and Works
- REGISTRATION 2021
- Sponsors and partners
- Other editions
Barcelona Internacional Guitar Contest Miquel Llobet | XVIII edition 2021 | November 4-7 | INTERPRETATION
On the recommendation of the health authorities and international restrictions regarding the Covid-19 pandemic, the Llobet Contest will develop the Qualification and Semifinal phases in online format and the Final will be held in person at the Municipal Conservatory of Music of Barcelona. The deadline for registration will be Sunday, October 3, 2021. The audiovisuals of the qualifiers will have to be presented before Sunday, October 17.
The first edition of the Llobet Contest was held between January 24 and 27, 1995 in the same place where it is currently held, in the Toldrà Auditorium of the Municipal Conservatory of Music of Barcelona. However then, it was not in homage to the teacher Miquel Llobet, nor was the audience the same.
In that year the tribute was addressed to the illustrious Lady of the Guitar, Maria Luisa Anido, who at the end of the contest, in a gesture of sincere humility, requested that he change the name of the event to that of her beloved teacher, the illustrious Miquel Llobet.
The auditorium that bears the name of the great musician Eduard Toldrà, was not the same either, its walnut wood walls aged by time, had a sweet sound throughout the room. Today the wood of a clear oak according to our time promises to give the listener new sound experiences.
In 2021 we are coming of age with the eighteenth edition and with the renewal of a new era of guitar talent, we have prepared for its exhibition a repertoire full of sonic colors.
The first qualifying phase will have two of the most important figures of the 20th century and two works linked to their authors, Respuesta by Miquel Llobet, dedicated to his favorite student; and Boceto indígena, the work of Maria Luisa Anido, who is celebrating the 25th anniversary of her disappearance.
The second semifinal phase, the classifieds will interpret the Argentine maestro Astor Piazzolla with the work Acentuado of the 5 pieces for guitar, celebrating the centenary of his birth; and at the end of this stage the work awarded with the first prize in the first edition of the 2020 Llobet Composition Contest, Canció primera by Diego Corraliza, from Alicante who honors the poetics of Miguel Hernández.
In the final phase, the three finalists will perform with a string quartet choosing between two works praised and awarded by critics and musical experts, we refer to the Quintet No. 1 of the young Slovenian composer and guitarist Nejc Kuhar and the famous work Usher-Waltz Fantasia by the Russian master Nikita Koshkin.
We hope that the participants enjoy this repertoire of great musical richness and that they transmit the sounds necessary to move the soul of the audience.
Eulogio Dávalos Llanos Director Artístico
1) Iberamerik Concert Associació, organizer of the Barcelona Internacional Guitar Contest Miquel Llobet, call for XVIII edition that will take place in Barcelona, from 4th to 7th of November, 2021.
2) The contest is open to all guitarists, regardless of nationality, who are no older than 35 years of age at time of registration. First Prize winners from previous editions are not eligible to enter.
3) The Contest will develop the qualifiers in online format and the Final in person at the Municipal Conservatory of Music of Barcelona.
4) The deadline for registration will be Sunday, October 3, 2021. The audiovisuals of the qualifiers will have to be presented before Sunday, October 17. The non-presentation of the audivisuals, both in the classification and the semifinal, will imply their automatic disqualification.
5) All cash prizes are subject to their corresponding taxes which will be withheld according to the current legislation.
6) The Organising Committee of the Certamen Llobet will not be responsible for programming dates and cancellation for any of the concerts offered as part of a prize.
7) The Contest will take care of the travel and accommodation expenses of the three finalists.
8) All rights to any recordings of the participants made by Certamen Llobet during the competition will be held by the Organising Committee.
9) By registering for the competition the participant agrees to all the rules of the Certamen Llobet competition. In the case of a discrepancy or disagreement, the Spanish edition of these rules will be used. The decision of the Jury is final.
10) Anything not specified in these rules is not the responsibility of the Organising Committee.
11) Registration for the competition should be made through the website.
Registration deadline: Sunday 3th of October, 2021. There will be a maximum of 20 participants.
The following documents will be required:
a) Biography and artist photo
b) Copy of passport or identity card
c) Proof of bank transfer
12) The registration fee is 60 Euros, to be made by bank transfer (indicating participant’s full name) to the following account:
CAIXABANK IBAN: ES71 2100 5516 8121 0016 5290 SWIFT: CAIXESBB
or through PAYPAL: firstname.lastname@example.org
13) By registering for the competition, participants will receive free entry and preferential attendance to other activities and concerts put on as part of the Certamen Llobet.
14) The competition will be held in three rounds:
1st ROUND (Classification – ONLINE): Maximum deadline for delivery of audiovisuals, Sunday, October 17, 2021. Competitors are required to perform the following set works:
– Respuesta, Miquel Llobet
– Boceto indígena, María Luisa Anido (25th anniversary of his disappearance)
(+ info on Composers and Works)
2nd ROUND (Semi-final – ONLINE): Maximum deadline for delivery of audiovisuals, Sunday, October 17, 2021. Competitors are required to perform the following set works:
– Canción primera, Diego Corraliza (Winning work in the Llobet Composition Competition 2020)
– Acentuado (Cinco piezas para guitarra), Astor Piazzolla (Centenary of his birth)
(+ info on Composers and Works)
3rd ROUND (Final and Prize Giving Ceremony): Sunday 7th of November at 7pm, three finalists will be selected. The work in this round will be performed with string quartet. Participants are to choose from one of the following works:
– Quintet No. 1, Nejc Kuhar
– Usher-Waltz Fantasia, Nikita Koshkin
(+ info on Composers and Works)
15) The following prizes will be awarded:
1st PRIZE: 5.000 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
Recording of a CD produced by JSM Guitar Records
Masterclass + concerts in: (Suspended by Covid-19):
Facultad de Artes de la Universidad de Chile
Facultad de Humanidades de la Universidad de la Serena (Chile)
School of Arts & Humanities of the University of Texas at Dallas (USA)
Festival Internacional de Guitarra “María Luisa Anido” Morón (Argentina)
Garrigues Guitar Festival Memorial Emili Pujol
Festival Internacional de Guitarra de Madrid
International Guitar Festival “Ferran Sor” of Barcelona
Festival de Guitarra Girona-Costa Brava
Festival d’Estiu Seu d’Ègara (concert with the Terrassa 48 Chamber Orchestra)
2nd PRIZE: 3.000 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
3rd PRIZE: 1.500 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
Llobet PRIZE, awarded for the best interpretation of the set work by Miguel Llobet: Honorary Diploma and concert at Art Llobet 2022 (Barcelona)
PRIZE “Canción Primera Ciudad de Yecla”, awarded for the best interpretation of the set work by Diego Corraliza, winner of the 2020 Llobet Composition Competition: Diploma Honorífico y concierto en Festival Internacional de Música de Cámara de Yecla 2022 (Yecla – Murcia -SPAIN)
CAT PRIZE, for the best classifying Catalan player: Honorary Diploma and concert at Garrigues Guitar Festival Memorial Emili Pujol
Audience PRIZE: Honorary Diploma and concert at Travicult 2022 (Barcelona)
16) These prizes may increase. Any changes will be identified on the website until the end of the registration period.
Miquel Llobet (1878-1938)
María Luisa Anido (1907-1996)
Diego Corraliza (1981)
Acentuado (Cinco piezas para guitarra)
Nejc Kuhar (1987)
Quintet no. 1 for guitar and string quartet
Nikita Koshkin (1956)