- Certamen Llobet 2023 | INTERPRETATION
- Interpretation Rules
- Composers and Works
- 2023 REGISTRATION
- Sponsors and collaborators
- Other editions
Barcelona Internacional Guitar Contest Miquel Llobet | XX edition 2023 | November 2-5 | INTERPRETATION MODE
“Mastery, Excellence and Virtuosity”. This is how the Great Lady of the Guitar, Maria Luisa Anido, defined in 1995 the last contest in which she participated as an honorary member of her and who with respectable consent dedicated the event to her beloved teacher Miquel Llobet. Since then, Barcelona has dressed up as a guitar and has seen the best musical talent in the art of classical guitar compete for the last three decades.
In the twentieth edition, the Llobet Contest once again presents to the competition excellent works of guitar literature that have contributed sound color, leaving a personal mark such as the jewels arranged for guitar by Llobet from Wagner‘s opera Parsifal or the Ballet del Fuego fatuo of Amor Brujo of Falla. El lamento of the Catalan composer, guitarist and conductor José Viñas closes the qualifiers on the bicentenary of his birth, along with the winning work of the 2022 Llobet Composition Contest, Tres bagatelas by the Argentine composer and guitarist Pablo Guzmán. In the final of the contest we will meet two of the most outstanding composers of the first half of the 20th century, the Italian Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco with his first movement of the Quintet opus 143 and the Mexican Manuel María Ponce with his last unfinished work Quatour, but precise ending made by the master guitarist Alberto Ubach.
We hope that those present enjoy the interpretation of this repertoire and motivate future concert challenges in the noble art of musical performance for guitar.
Eulogio Dávalos Artistic Director
1) Iberamerik Concert Associació, organizer of the Barcelona Internacional Guitar Contest Miquel Llobet, call for XX edition that will take place in Barcelona, from 2th to 5th of November, 2023.
2) The contest is open to all guitarists, regardless of nationality, who are no older than 35 years of age at time of registration. First Prize winners from previous editions are not eligible to enter.
3) The Contest will develop in person at the Municipal Conservatory of Music of Barcelona.
4) The draw for the competition’s first round performance order will be held at the Municipal Conservatory of Music of Barcelona on the Thursday 2th of November at 10:00 a.m. All competitors must attend, those not in attendance will forfeit their right to participate.
5) All cash prizes are subject to their corresponding taxes which will be withheld according to the current legislation.
6) The Organising Committee of the Certamen Llobet will not be responsible for programming dates and cancellation for any of the concerts offered as part of a prize.
7)The travel, accommodation and living costs incurred during the competition will be covered by the participant. If required, Certamen Llobet will provide housing for participants who pass to the semi-final until they are eliminated from the competition.
8) All rights to any recordings of the participants made by Certamen Llobet during the competition will be held by the Organising Committee.
9) By registering for the competition the participant agrees to all the rules of the Certamen Llobet competition. In the case of a discrepancy or disagreement, the Spanish edition of these rules will be used. The decision of the Jury is final.
10) Anything not specified in these rules is not the responsibility of the Organising Committee.
11) Registration for the competition should be made through the website.
Registration deadline: Sunday, October 15th, 2023. There will be a maximum of 20 participants.
The following documents will be required:
a) Biography and artist photo
b) Copy of passport or identity card
c) Proof of bank transfer
12) The registration fee is 60 Euros, to be made by bank transfer (indicating participant’s full name) to the following account:
CAIXABANK IBAN: ES71 2100 5516 8121 0016 5290 SWIFT: CAIXESBB
or by PAYPAL: firstname.lastname@example.org
13) By registering for the competition, participants will receive free entry and preferential attendance to other activities and concerts put on as part of the Certamen Llobet.
14) The competition will be held in three rounds:
1st ROUND (Classification): Thursday, November 2th at 10:00 a.m., for all participants. Competitors are required to perform the following set works:
– Parsifal (fragment), Richard Wagner (arr. Miquel Llobet)
– El lamento, Josep Viñas (Bicentennial of his birth)
(+ info Composers and Works)
2nd ROUND (Semi-final): Friday, November 3th at 10:00 a.m., for all participants who classify. Competitors are required to perform the following set works:
– Ballet del Fuego Fatuo (El Amor Brujo), Manuel de Falla (arr. Miquel Llobet)
– Tres bagatelas, Pablo Guzmán (Winning work of the Llobet Composition Competition 2022)
(+ info Composers and Works)
3rd ROUND (Final and Prize Giving Ceremony): Sunday, November 5th at 7:00 p.m., three finalists will be selected. The work in this round will be performed with string quartet. Participants are to choose from one of the following works:
– Quatour, Manuel María Ponce (Rev. José Alberto Ubach)
– Quintette op. 143 (I mov. Allegro, vivo e schietto), Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco
(+ info Composers and Works)
15) The following prizes will be awarded:
1st PRIZE: 5.000 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
Recording of an audiovisual produced by IRS Produccions and promotion through social networks.
Concerts in Spain:
Garrigues Guitar Festival Memorial Emili Pujol
Festival Internacional de Guitarra “Ferran Sor” de Barcelona
Festival de Guitarra Girona-Costa Brava
Festival Internacional de Guitarra “Maria Luisa Anido” Morón, Argentina
Facultad de Artes de la Universidad Nacional de La Plata
Facultad de Artes de la Universidad de Chile
2nd PRIZE: 3.000 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
3rd PRIZE: 1.500 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
And special Prizes:
Llobet PRIZE, awarded for the best interpretation of the set work by Miguel Llobet: Honorary Diploma and concert at Art Llobet 2024 (Barcelona)
CAT PRIZE, for the best classifying Catalan player: Honorary Diploma and concert at Garrigues Guitar Festival Memorial Emili Pujol
Audience PRIZE: Honorary Diploma and concert at Travicult 2024 (Barcelona)
16) These prizes may increase. Any changes will be identified on the website until the end of the registration period.
Richard Wagner (1813-1883)
Parsifal (fragment), Richard Wagner (arr. Miquel Llobet)
José Viñas (1823-1888)
Manuel de Falla (1876-1946)
Ballet del Fuego Fatuo of “El Amor Brujo” (arr. Miquel Llobet)
Pablo Guzmán (1985)
Tres bagatelas (Winning work of the Llobet Composition Competition 2022)
Manuel María Ponce (1882-1948)
Quatour (rev. José Alberto Ubach)
Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1965)