- Certamen Llobet 2022 | INTERPRETATION
- Interpretation Rules
- Composers and Works
- Honorary award
- Press release
Barcelona Internacional Guitar Contest Miquel Llobet
19th edition 2022 | November 3-6 | INTERPRETATION
After coming of age in the last edition, the Llobet Contest intends to carry out the nineteenth edition with the normal presence that has always characterized it. New experiences and vibrant emotions once again turn the stage into mastery, excellence and virtuosity in the noble art of the guitar.
This year we present to the contest excellent works that have left a personal mark to be performed by the interpreters with their own sound perspective and with the knowledge of their composers.
In the first phase of Qualifying we present “Leonesa”, a popular song so exquisitely harmonized by the illustrious guitarist Miquel Llobet, and “Catalanesca”, a characteristic dance of Catalonia written by the Catalan cellist Gaspar Cassadó, whom we celebrate the 125th Anniversary of his birth.
In the second Semifinal phase, the classifieds will interpret the freshness of the “Danza Brasilera” by the Argentine master Jorge Morel, together with the inspiring pictorial “Actor’s Mask” by the Russian composer Konstantin Vassiliev, a work awarded with the first prize of the 2021 Llobet Composition Contest.
The last and third Final phase, the finalists will sharpen their musical skills with one of the two works to choose from together with a string quartet, between the suggestive “Fantasia per chitarra e quartetto d’archi” by the Italian master composer and guitarist Eros Roselli or the hypnotic “Landscape” by Australian composer Robert Davidson.
As we repeat every year, we hope that this appointment of self-improvement transmits or promotes new artistic challenges.
Eulogio Dávalos Llanos Director Artístic
1) Iberamerik Concert Associació, organizer of the Barcelona Internacional Guitar Contest Miquel Llobet, call for XVIII edition that will take place in Barcelona, from 3th to 6th of November, 2022.
2) The contest is open to all guitarists, regardless of nationality, who are no older than 35 years of age at time of registration. First Prize winners from previous editions are not eligible to enter.
3) The Contest will develop in person at the Municipal Conservatory of Music of Barcelona.
4) The draw for the competition’s first round performance order will be held at the Municipal Conservatory of Music of Barcelona on the Thursday 3th of November at 10:00 a.m. All competitors must attend, those not in attendance will forfeit their right to participate.
5) All cash prizes are subject to their corresponding taxes which will be withheld according to the current legislation.
6) The Organising Committee of the Certamen Llobet will not be responsible for programming dates and cancellation for any of the concerts offered as part of a prize.
7)The travel, accommodation and living costs incurred during the competition will be covered by the participant. If required, Certamen Llobet will provide housing for participants who pass to the semi-final until they are eliminated from the competition.
8) All rights to any recordings of the participants made by Certamen Llobet during the competition will be held by the Organising Committee.
9) By registering for the competition the participant agrees to all the rules of the Certamen Llobet competition. In the case of a discrepancy or disagreement, the Spanish edition of these rules will be used. The decision of the Jury is final.
10) Anything not specified in these rules is not the responsibility of the Organising Committee.
11) Registration for the competition should be made through the website.
Registration deadline: Sunday, October 16th, 2022. There will be a maximum of 20 participants.
The following documents will be required:
a) Biography and artist photo
b) Copy of passport or identity card
c) Proof of bank transfer
12) The registration fee is 60 Euros, to be made by bank transfer (indicating participant’s full name) to the following account:
CAIXABANK IBAN: ES71 2100 5516 8121 0016 5290 SWIFT: CAIXESBB
O per PAYPAL: firstname.lastname@example.org
13) By registering for the competition, participants will receive free entry and preferential attendance to other activities and concerts put on as part of the Certamen Llobet.
14) The competition will be held in three rounds:
1st ROUND (Classification): Thursday, November 3th at 10:00 a.m., for all participants. Competitors are required to perform the following set works:
– Leonesa, Miquel Llobet
– Catalanesca, Gaspar Cassadó (125 Birth Aniversary)
(+ info Composers and Works)
2nd ROUND (Semi-final): Friday, November 4th at 10:00 a.m., for all participants who classify. Competitors are required to perform the following set works:
– Danza Brasilera, Jorge Morel
– Actor’s Mask, Konstantin Vassiliev (Winning work of the Llobet Composition Competition 2021)
(+ info Composers and Works)
3rd ROUND (Final and Prize Giving Ceremony): Sunday, November 6th at 7:00 p.m., three finalists will be selected. The work in this round will be performed with string quartet. Participants are to choose from one of the following works:
– Fantasia per chitarra i quartetto d’archi, Eros Roselli
– Landscape, Robert Davidson
(+ info Composers and Works)
15) The following prizes will be awarded:
1st PRIZE: 5.000 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
Recording of an audiovisual produced by IRS Produccions and promotion through social networks.
Garrigues Guitar Festival Memorial Emili Pujol
Festival Internacional de Guitarra de Madrid
Festival Internacional de Guitarra “Ferran Sor” de Barcelona
Festival de Guitarra Girona-Costa Brava
Festival d’Estiu Seu d’Ègara (concert amb l’Orquestra de Cambra Terrassa 48)
2nd PRIZE: 3.000 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
3rd PRIZE: 1.500 Euros, Medal and Honorary Diploma
And special Prizes:
Llobet PRIZE, awarded for the best interpretation of the set work by Miguel Llobet: Honorary Diploma and concert at Art Llobet 2023 (Barcelona)
CAT PRIZE, for the best classifying Catalan player: Honorary Diploma and concert at Garrigues Guitar Festival Memorial Emili Pujol
Audience PRIZE: Honorary Diploma and concert at Travicult 2022 (Barcelona)
16) These prizes may increase. Any changes will be identified on the website until the end of the registration period.
Born in Cartagena, she studied at the Escuela Normal de Musique “Alfred Cortot” in Paris with Alberto Ponce, and at the Oscar Esplá Superior Conservatory in Alicante with Ignacio Rodes. She has won prizes in a dozen international competitions. She has offered recitals in numerous countries and also as a soloist with important orchestras. Since 2007 she has made recordings for the television production company Eurodeltamusic.
She was born in Barcelona. She studies at the Municipal Music Conservatory of this city, where she currently works as a teacher specializing in accordion. She has participated in the creation and dissemination of a new accordion repertoire with Catalan composers such as Joaquim Homs, Josep Soler and Joan Guinjoan; she recording almost all of Robert Gerhard’s accordion works. Since 1982, the year in which she came into contact with Astor Piazzolla, she has been working on the interpretation and dissemination of the original music of the great revolutionary of tango.
She obtained the Superior Degree in Guitar at the Conservatory of the Liceo de Barcelona, awarded with the Honorary Prize at the end of her degree. She has offered recitals with different chamber groups, as concertmaster in the Barcelona Guitar Orchestra and in a duo with the guitarist Miriam Franch since 1996. She is currently Head of Department and guitar teacher at the Barcelona Liceo Conservatory and guitar teacher and chamber music at the Can Roig and Torres de Sta Coloma de Gramenet Municipal School of Music.
FIRST PRIZE | AUDIENCE AWARD
AIRAM DE VERA (SPAIN)
He was born in Las Palmas in 1992. He felt attracted to music at a very young age and received his first lessons at the La Aldea music school at the age of 8. At the age of 14 he began to study guitar, and a few years later he successfully applied for admission to the music conservatory of the Canary Islands. Under the direction of José María Ramírez, he completed the higher degree in 2016, receiving the Cum Laude mention. He obtained a scholarship from the Maphre Foundation and allowed him to continue his studies abroad. In 2017 he entered the Robert Schumann University of Düsseldorf under the tutelage of Alexander-Sergei Ramírez, where in 2021 he obtained a master’s degree in classical guitar performance with the highest qualification.
SECOND PRIZE | LLOBET AWARD
JOSÉ DANIEL SALCEDA (MEXICO)
He started studying the guitar at the age of 8, under the tutelage of Mtro. Juan Jose Barron Amieva. He continued his training at the Conservatorio de las Rosas with Rodrigo Nefthalí and graduated with the highest qualifications. In 2020 he is studying the Master’s Degree in Classical Guitar Performance at the University of Alicante where he receives the mention “Summa Cum Laude” upon meritorious completion of his studies. He has won more than 25 national and 10 international awards, recently highlighting the first prize of the José Tomás Villa de Petrer International Guitar Competition 2022.
FILIPE NEVES (PORTUGAL)
He was born in 1994 in Porto, Portugal. He began his musical studies at 6 years old, in Academy of Music of Espinho, and later on, in the Professional School of Music in the guitar class of Ricardo Abreu. He continued his studies pursuing a bachelor degree in University of Évora, with Bosnian-Croatian guitar player Dejan Ivanovich and he has studied in chamber music by the American viola player Paul Wakabayashi. Filipe also holds a Master Degree in Music Performance (Classical Guitar) by Conservatorium Maastricht, Netherlands, under the guidance of world renowed Italian guitarrist Carlo Marchione. He earned several prizes in national and international guitar and chamber music competitions.
BRUNA ESCOLÀ (SPAIN)
He was born in 1999 in Barcelona. He began his musical studies at the School of Musicians and JPC where he studied professional degree and bassoon. He has graduated in Classical Music Interpretation, specializing in guitar at the Liceu Superior Conservatory. He has completed a Postgraduate Specialization in Humanistic Studies at the Liceus center and the UEMC and is doing a Master’s degree in Musicology at the UAB. In 2018 he won the Llobet prize in the XV Miquel Llobet Contest. He has participated as a speaker at the First Research Meeting on the Guitar, in Chile, with a conference on the transformation of the guitar in Catalonia and the Catalan school of the 19th century.
2022 HONORARY AWARD “A LIFETIME FOR THE GUITAR”
AMIGOS DE LA GUITARRA DE VALENCIA (SPAIN)
Entity dedicated to the ennoblement of the classical guitar instrument and its performers for more than 70 years with a history of 636 concerts to date, with the programming of great masters and emerging young concert guitarists with their various styles, as well as the guitar in chamber groups and/or combined with other artistic expressions, which enrich the extensive dimension of the instrument in the world. You can check their schedule at amigosdelaguitarra.es
SPAIN IS CROWNED WITH THE HIGHEST AWARD OF THE LLOBET CONTEST
- Once again, a representative from the Canary Islands, Airam de Vera from Gran Canaria, won first prize. The previous one was Luis Alejandro García from Tenerife in 2017
- The organizing committee distinguished Friends of the Guitar of Valencia with the Honorary Award, for their career with more than 70 years of history and 637 concerts to date
Barcelona | November 8, 2022 | 7:30 p.m.
After two years of health restrictions that limited mobility worldwide, this nineteenth edition has returned to its usual presence at the Municipal Conservatory of Music of Barcelona, official venue of the event. This year we have once again had an exciting and high-level edition, with nine participants from six nationalities, Argentina, Chile, France, Mexico, Portugal and Spain.
In the different phases of the contest, the participants executed the lofty works proposed with great mastery and excellence. The first qualifier presented with its own sound perspective the “Leonesa”, a popular song so exquisitely harmonized by the illustrious guitarist Miquel Llobet, and “Catalanesca”, a sardana, a characteristic dance of Catalonia written by the Catalan cellist Gaspar Cassadó, to whom we wanted to render tribute on the 125th anniversary of his birth. The second Semifinal phase, …
AIRAM DE VERA
AMIGOS DE LA GUITARRA DE VALENCIA
AIRAM DE VERA